A Selected List of Books About the U.S.-Mexican War
Please Note: Many of the following titles are out of print and may be available only at libraries.
- Bauer, K. Jack. The Mexican War, 1846-1848 (New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1974).
- Bill, Alfred Hoyt. Rehearsal For Conflict: The War with Mexico 1846-1848 (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1947).
- Billington, Ray Allen. The Far Western Frontier: 1830-1860 (New York: Harper and Bros., 1956),
- Butler, Steven R. A Documentary History of the Mexican War (Richardson, Texas: Descendants of Mexican War Veterans, 1994).
- Chance, Joseph E., ed. Jefferson Davis's Mexican War Regiment (Jackson: University of Mississippi, 1991).
- Chance, Joseph E., ed. The Mexican War Journal of Captain Franklin Smith (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1991).
- Chance, Joseph E. , ed. Mexico Under Fire (Ft. Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1994).
- Chance, Joseph E. and Clayton, Lawrence R. The March to Monterrey: The Diary of Lt. Rankin Dilworth (El Paso: The University of Texas at El Paso, 1996).
- Conner, Seymour V. and Faulk, Odie B. North America Divided: The Mexican War 1846-1848 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1971).
- Ferrell, Robert H., ed. Monterrey is Ours!: The Mexican War Letters of Lieutenant Dana, 1845-1847 (Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 1990).
- Frazier, Donald, ed. The United States and Mexico at War (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997).
- Garrett, Jenkins and Goodwin, Katherine, eds. The Mexican-American War of 1846-1848: A Bibliography of the Libraries of the University of Texas at Arlington (College Station: Published for the University of Texas at Arlington by Texas A and M University Press, 1995).
- Goetzmann, William H. Sam Chamberlain's Mexican War: The San Jacinto Museum of History Paintings (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1993).
- Goetzmann, William H., ed. My Confession or Recollections of a Rogue (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1996).
- Henry, Robert Selph. The Story of the Mexican War (New York: Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1950).
- Jenkins, John Stilwell. History of the War Between the United States and Mexico (Auburn, N.Y.: Derby, Miller and Co., 1848).
- Johannsen, Robert W. To the Halls of the Montezumas: The Mexican War in the American Imagination (New York: Oxford University Press, 1985).
- Mansfield, Edward D. The Mexican War (New York: Barnes and Co., 1848).
- Miller, Robert Ryal. Shamrock and Sword: The St. Patrick's Battalion in the U.S.-Mexican War (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1989).
- Miller, Robert Ryal and Orr, William J. An Immigrant Soldier in the Mexican War (College Station: Texas A and M University Press, 1995).
- Nevin, David. The Mexican War (Alexandria, Virginia: Time-Life Books, Inc., 1978).
- Rives, George Lockhart. The United States and Mexico, 1821-1848, 2 vols. (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913).
- Smith, Justin H. The War with Mexico, 2 vols. (New York: Macmillan and Co., 1919).
- Weems, John Edward. To Conquer a Peace: The War Between the United States and Mexico (Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday and Co., 1974).
- Wilcox, Cadmus M. History of the Mexican War (Washington, D.C.: Church News Publishing Co., 1892).
- Winders, Richard Bruce. Mr. Polk's Army (College Station: Texas A.&M. University Press, 1997).
The University of Texas at Arlington Special Collections Library has one of the largest and most comprehensive holdings of Mexican War books and other printed materials in the United States. The library's computer catalog "PULSE" can be accessed by telnet. A printed bibliography of the library's Mexican War-related materials was published in 1995 (see list above). For general information, visit the University of Texas at Arlington Libraries website.
Return to: [The U.S.-Mexican War]
The information on page is intended for personal, non-profit, and/or educational purposes only.
Copyright © 1996-2002 by the Descendants of Mexican War Veterans. All rights reserved.